Duration: 1 day
Location: Calgary, Canada
Many of the homes, shops and machinery you see at each exhibit are original, and the informative and talented staff of interpreters — outfitted in period costumes — bring the attractions to life.
The historical exhibits and attractions can be found in four main locations around the park.
- 1860s Fur Trading Fort and First Nations Encampment: Learn about the Hudson’s Bay Company, which established fur trading posts across the Pacific Northwest, from Oregon to Alaska; see artifacts from First Nations people; and admire Our Lady of Peace Mission, which dates back to 1872.
- 1880s Pre-Railway Settlement: Explore the temporary tent cabins that pre-settlement bachelors lived in; check out the police barracks; and see local establishments like Drew’s Saloon and Gleichen School.
- 1900s Historical Village and 1910 Prairie Railway Town: Take a look at an array of historical buildings such as a blacksmith shop and the Airdrie House, an example of a comfortable but plain Western Canadian home; visit Atlas Lumber Yard; and see popular gathering spots like Alberta Bakery and Barons Snooker Parlour.
- 1930s, ‘40s and ‘50s Gasoline Alley Museum and Heritage Town Square: At the Gasoline Alley Museum, you can admire several antique automobiles, such as a 1908 REO Autobuggy, a 1909 McIntyre Model M and a 1912 Buick Model 2-A Express Truck. Then take a walk through Heritage Town Square to visit the bandstand, Canadian Pacific Railway Station and the Railway Garden. You can also shop and grab a bite to eat in the square.
Winter exhibits (mid-October to mid-May):
During the winter months, only Heritage Town Square, shops and restaurants, and the Gasoline Alley Museum are open. Here you can enjoy the 1930's - 1950's era and marvel at the phenomenal changes that the automobile brought to Western Canada! Recommended time to visit is 1 - 1.5 hours.
- Child: Age 3 - 15
- Adult: Age 16 - 99
Awesome Historical Park. It provides a glimpse of the past thru preserved houses and castles and old buildings of businesses from 1800 century. Steam train ride is fantastic. The train ride to get us to the gate of the park is an amazing feature that costs 1.00 CAD per pax/per ride. Highly recommended for those who enjoys activities under the heat of the sun.
The staff was helpful and informative. Although we could only visit Gasoline Alley and the Plaza, my wheelchair went everywhere. I would recommend Heritage Park to someone visiting Calgary.
Stuff to do for all ages. It was a great day and my kids loved it. The staff were very pleasant and all dress in traditional clothing and they knew their history. The old steam train and paddle boat were fantastic. The lunch we had in the Hotel Wainwright was lovely and lots of it in a lovely setting. Well worth a visit.
This tour was amazing!
- Heritage Park, Calgary
- Summer Season:2018: May 19 - September 3, Daily 10am – 5pmSeptember 4 - October 8, Weekends 10am - 5pm Winter Season (Open Year Round): 2018 January 2 - May 18, 10am - 4pmSeptember 4 - October 8, 10am - 5pmOctober 9 - December 31, 10am - 4pm
- 1 day
- Summer Season:2016: May 21 - September 5, Daily 10am - 5pmSeptember 6 - October 10, Weekends 10am - 5pm 2017: May 20 - September 4, Daily 10am – 5pmSeptember 5 - October 9, Weekends 10am - 5pm2018: May 19 - September 3, Daily 10am – 5pmSeptember 4 - October 8, Weekends 10am - 5pm Winter Season (Open Year Round): 2016: January 2 - May 20, 10am - 4pmSeptember 6 - October 10, 10am - 5pmOctober 11 - December 31, 10am - 4pm2017: January 2 - May 19, 10am - 4pmSeptember 7 - October 9, 10am - 5pmOctober 10 - December 31, 10am - 4pm2018 January 2 - May 18, 10am - 4pmSeptember 4 - October 8, 10am - 5pmOctober 9 - December 31, 10am - 4pm
- Summer Season Only: Access to all Heritage Park rides, upon availability and time permitting. Rides include: authentic steam train, paddle wheel boat, horse-drawn wagon tours and all antique midway rides. Rides operate during Historical Village hours of operation only.
- Winter Season Only: Access to the world class Gasoline Alley Museum, as well as Heritage Town Square and shops and restaurants.
- Food and drinks (available for purchase)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.