Duration: 4 hours
Location: Canadian Rockies, Canada
As you do, you’ll get to wander through a natural cave to gaze down at the flowering waters of the lower falls. Continue onto the awe-inducing upper falls - a glittering tower of ice that rise 30 metres above your head. These gigantic pillars of ice are the tour highlight and ice climbers can often be seen scaling the frozen columns.
This popular guided icewalk will lead you past the lower falls and on to view the breathtaking upper icefalls from the upper deck. You will also travel through prime wildlife habitat to reach the falls and learn the clues to how Johnston Canyon was formed.
This is a typical itinerary for this product
This popular walk will lead you past the lower falls and to the breathtaking upper icefalls. You'll hike on steel walkways built into the canyon walls and get an airy view of the canyon below.
What to expect:
• Walking Time: 2 - 2.5 hours
• Return Distance: 3.4 miles (5.4 kilometers)
• Elevation Gain: 443 feet (135 meters)
Duration: 2 hours 30 minutes
Location: Johnston Canyon, Banff National Park, Alberta
Travel through breathtaking scenery and nature on your way to the trailhead and learn about the history and geology of Johnston Canyon.
Pass By: Bow Valley Parkway, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta
- Child: Age 8 - 12
- Adult: Age 13 - 99
Really amazing trip to a beautiful place! Guide was great, the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because even though the company had 2 other tour buses I was put on a tour with a 9-person family. I feel like they were on their own schedule entirely and did not care about holding up me and the 2 other people on the tour who were outside this family. It's not the company's fault how rude they were, but I do wish the tour company had made them take a private tour.
Our guides were really wonderful. No one was left behind and everyone was given the opportunity to enjoy the beauty of ice landscape.
I highly recommend this tour to people who may be afraid of driving in the snow or on slippery surfaces, and people who may have a hard time exploring Johnston Canyon on their own. My husband and I booked the 8:30 tour, and our tour guide picked us up behind the Mount Royal Hotel in DT Banff. We picked up 2 more groups of guests and hit the road to the canyon. On the way there, we spotted a white-tailed deer, a family of elks 7 of them, and an owl. Our tour guide stopped the engine and gave us time to take pictures. The ride was about 45-minutes to one hour. We were given snow cleats and hiking poles by the entrance. Our tour guide gave us detailed instructions length, time, physical demand, bathroom etc, and everyone was clear what to expect. Do note that the hike is very simple for physically active people, but not so for physically inactive ones. I run 7 miles a day, and the hike was a piece of cake. My husband is on the large side physically, and he doesnt exercise often. The hike was difficult for him, as he had to stop and take mini breaks here and there. The scenery was so beautiful, so I would still recommend everyone to join the tour and try it. There were two water falls, one small and one big in scale. It took about 45 minutes to hit the first water fall, and another 45 minutes to the second one. Everyone in my 11-person group made it. We embraced the amazing view and had hot chocolate by the second water fall. Really good experience. Highly recommend!
Mick was our guide who is a geologist in his spare time, he was very informative and entertaining encouraging crowd participation. We were issued our crampons for our boots and of we went. frozen waterfalls walking through snow covered forest was enchanting, learning a bit of history along the way also. You turn a corner and again WOW! you just are presented such natural beauty. And before you return back to the bus a nice hot chocolate and bickkies to get you back. Thanks for the experience Mick
We loved this tour! Our tour guide was awesome! She knew a lot and made it fun even though we were freezing! The hot cocoa and cookies hit the spot!
Absolutely beautiful! A must see and do. We were there in January and although cold it wasn't too bad. We eventually had our jackets off completely so don't let that time of year stop you. Never imagined how beautiful it was within the canyon. So glad we did this. Fantastic pictures to look back on.
- Traveler pickup is offeredPublic bus parking lot directly behind the Mount Royal Hotel (Hotel address: 138 Banff Avenue) in Banff
- 4 hours
- Seasonal December 1 - April 11 Daily
- Returns to the original departure point approximately 4 hours after departure
- Professional guide
- Ice cleats
- Hiking pole
- Maple cookie snack, hot chocolate
- Small group size (up to 12 guests per guide)
- Optional gratuities
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 8 years. All children aged 15 years and under must be accompanied by someone 18 years and older.
- All adults must sign a waiver prior to the tour. A waiver must also be completed by the parent or guardian of any child under the age of 18.
- Guests should dress in ski wear for this trip including hats, mittens, and warm boots. A detailed list of items to wear and bring is provided on your voucher.
- A moderate level of fitness is recommended to ensure that you enjoy the tour.
- Please note that this tour stays on the trail and does not traverse the ice due to safety concerns.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 3 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.