Duration: 2 hours 30 minutes
Location: Newport Beach, California
This whale-watching tour is available year-round, and depending on the season you travel, different whales may be in the area. Giant blue whales like to visit in the summer and fall months. These whales are the largest mammals ever seen in existence, usually growing to approximately 200 tons (180 metric tons) and 98 feet (30 meters) in length! You may also see grey whales, which can live up to 70 years. Finback whales are also common in the summer months; they are the second-largest mammals after blue whales, and they grow to up to 72 feet (22 meters).
During the winter and spring months, you'll typically see minke and humpback whales. The minke whale is one of the world’s smallest whales, only growing to about 23 feet (7 meters). The beloved humpback whale can grow to be about 52 feet (16 meters). Both whales love krill, and they ‘fluke’ (slap) their tails on the water in order to bring the krill up to the surface. Humpbacks are a very curious breed of whales and are often referred to as ’friendlies’ by sailors because they love to come up to ships.
Keep your eyes peeled for other marine life like seals, sea lions and several types of dolphins. Your friendly and knowledgeable captain and crew all come from strong backgrounds in marine biology and will be able to answer all your questions.
- Infant: Age 0 - 3
- Child: Age 4 - 12
- Adult: Age 13 - 59
- Senior: Age 60 - 99
No whales but plenty of dolphins who swam right next to the boat. It's also not 2.5 hours as it says. But nice tour and glad i did it.
I was disappointed because I didn't see any whales, but we did capture dolphins swimming multiple times. I also had the opportunity to see some sea lions. Overall, the experience was enjoyable and I definitely recommend this sighting seeing tour!
Awesome fun time!!! Crew was so great, fun and courteous ... Check-in was very simple. You gotta do this when doing the tourist thing!!!
Parking was a challenge. We have not seen any whales.
This was a cool experience but there are a few things I didn't like. When booking, it would have been important to let people know just how cold it would be out there. Maybe letting us know the average temperature over the water during that season. Everyone was wearing a light jacket expecting it to be a little colder than on land, but it was a lot colder. Everyone was freezing because they really weren't prepared for it.
Also, the cruise would be properly branded as a Marine Life Watching tour. It was only when we got on the boat we were told that we might not see a whale. Which was highly disappointing and felt misleading! Thankfully!! We did see one hump back whale right at the end of our tour. That made up for what felt 45 minutes of aimlessly circling the water with nothing in sight in the freezing cold for so long! It would've been nice to have something to entertain us with during the wait as well.
That being said we did see a large pod of dolphins and some sea lions catching some rays on a buoy. So that was pretty cool.
Overall, I enjoyed the tour!
Good trip. We saw lots of common dolphins, seals, and sea lions but unfortunely no whales.
Realmente, um belo passeio.
The tour was great, the crew was friendly and fun. We saw so many dolphin, including lots of babies. Great value for a couple of hours on the ocean.
This was a great 2 hours out in the bay. Boat was spacious and clean and the crew informative and friendly. No whales but a large pod of about 200 dolphins further out which meant an excellent half an hour or so as they swam around the boat jumping in and out of the water. To see mothers and their young was an absolute joy. Sea lions on the way back rounded off a memorable trip. Well worth doing.
The trip was amazing. We got to see a huge family of Dolphins. They were beautiful !!!!
- Newport HarborNewport Beach, California
- 2 hours 30 minutes
- Returns to original departure point
- 2.5-hour whale-watching cruise
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
- $2.50 fuel surcharge per infant age 3 years and younger due on date of travel. The fuel surcharge and wharfage fees is required by our local supplier and is not within our control.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Outside alcohol, ice chests, coolers or glass containers are strictly prohibited.
- Vessel may change depending on availability.
- Please note: there is a $2.50 fuel surcharge per infant age 3 years and younger due on date of travel. The fuel surcharge and wharfage fees is required by our local supplier and is not within our control.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.